Senate and its committees
The Committee Handbook and the report template for Senate and its committees are available here.
The Scheme of Academic Governance incorporates a deliberative committee structure for the consideration of the academic standards of the University’s awards and the quality of the student learning experience. Download a diagrammatic Senate committee structure here (PDF).
The University’s Charter establishes Senate as the “academic authority” of the University and the Statutes stipulate that Senate shall be responsible for “maintaining the academic quality and standards of the University”.
The Scheme of Academic Governance established a new Senate from 2008/09, new terms of reference and new membership provisions, together with four Standing Committees of Senate:
- Academic Audit and Governance Committee
- Academic Programmes and Partnerships Committee
- Learning, Teaching and Enhancement Committee
- Research Committee
Additionally, there are other Committees, Boards and Panels responsible to Senate:
- Academic Appeals Panels
- Boards of Examiners
- Disciplinary Committee
- Disciplinary Appeals Committee
- Fitness for Professional Practice Panels
- Fitness for Professional Practice Appeals Panels
- Postgraduate Research Awards Board
- Student Support Funds Panel
The Academic Audit and Governance Committee (AAGC) is responsible for advising Senate on the operation and effective discharge of the University scheme for academic governance and the appropriate delegation of Senate’s authority.