Diagram of the University Senate and its committees (PDF)
Senate Terms of Reference and Membership
List of Senate Members
Senate members can access committee papers from their campus desktop through the Shared V: drive Senate folder
Off-campus access to committee resources is available by navigating to the Senate folder (V:\University\Governance\Senate) through the UoS Portal File Access (requires ID and password to login)
The Senate is the academic authority of the University. It is responsible for the ‘planning, co-ordination, development and supervision of the academic work of the University’ within the overall framework of corporate strategy and policy approved by the Council.
The primary duty of the Senate is to oversee the academic quality and standards of the University and to ensure that its academic activities, including mutually beneficial collaborations, flourish, develop and are enterprising in all aspects. The Senate has an important role in assuring the academic standards of its awards and the high quality of learning opportunities provided to students.
The Senate will sustain the University’s distinctive integration of learning and teaching, research and innovation and academic enterprise.
Senate considers reports on a range of topics, including:
- the approval and amendment of academic policies and procedures on the recommendation of its standing committees – academic policy documents are collated in the Academic Handbook
- the approval of the academic regulations governing taught programmes and research awards - these are published on the Academic Handbook website
- oversight of academic audits conducted under the auspices of the Academic Audit and Governance Committee
- the University Scheme for Academic Governance including the establishment and membership of Senate’s committees and the appropriate delegation of its authority
Click on the Terms of Reference and Membership link to see Senate’s full remit
- Academic Audit and Governance Committee
- Academic Programmes and Partnerships Committee
- Learning, Teaching and Enhancement Committee
- Research Committee
Secretary to Senate
Gregory Clark, Associate Secretary, Governance Services Unit, First Floor, Acton Square, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone: (0161 29)55868
Dates of Senate meetings
- 17 October 2012
- 5 December 2012
- 27 February 2013
- 25 March 2013 (Special Senate) starting at 10.00am
- 22 May 2013
2013/2014 (first meeting)
- 25 September 2013
Senate dates are included in the University of Salford Almanac available to all staff.
Papers for consideration by the Committee must reach the Secretary at least two weeks in advance of the meeting at which they are to be considered.
Minutes of Meetings